Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Introduction

Greetings!  My name is Ty Evans, and please bear with me as I accustom myself to the blogging world.
Nearing the completion of my second bachelor's degree, this one in archaeology from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, I was looking for additional skills to complement what I have already learned.  Having read of the power of GIS in archaeology (and many other fields), I took three online GIS courses through Nevada community colleges.  While these were great introductions, I feel a lack of coherency and a limited depth of understanding in my knowledge of the software and its capabilities.  After much research, I believe the online UWF archaeology track GIS graduate certificate is the best single program available, especially by offering an archaeology focus.  My highest hope is to utilize the knowledge and experience gained from this program to begin a career in archaeology with the National Park Service or other government agency in the Southwest/Great Basin region.  Given the ubiquity of GIS, however, I would not be against seeking jobs in other fields in which GIS skills are needed.
I look forward to diving into the program and getting to know my fellow students.

No comments:

Post a Comment