Monday, February 3, 2014

GIS 4043 Lab 4: ArcGIS Online and Map Packages


This week's lab gave us an opportunity to interact with ESRI's online functionality and training.  I already had an account for training purposes for an earlier course but had never registered with ArcGIS online or accessed ArcGIS online through ArcMap.  Initially, I was unable to register and was forced to reset my password two times before I successfully connected with ArcGIS online.  I had no problems connecting thereafter, although ArcMap did kick me off at one point and required a second login.

The major portion of this lab involved working through sections of the ESRI online course "Creating and Sharing Map Packages for ArcGIS 10.1."  This course served as a good introduction to utilizing ArcGIS online functions via ArcMap and web browser.  The ease with which maps can be created, edited and shared by and for multiple parties is impressive.  I look forward to experimenting further with ArcGIS online and learning more of its potential.

The screenshots below show the item description of the maps uploaded as part of the ESRI online course.  This provides another example of the importance of good metadata; I would not enjoy wading through search results that lacked useful descriptions and source data information.




No comments:

Post a Comment