Tuesday, September 16, 2014

GIS 4035 Module 3: Land Use Land Cover Classification

Aerial photo of Pascagoula, MS with land use/land cover classification overlay.

This week for our Photo Interpretation and Remote Sensing lab we were given the challenge of classifying an aerial photograph based on land use and land cover.  While we were not required to get too detailed with our classification, we were required to classify everything.  We were to create a new shapefile and then create polygons over each classification.  I extensively used the "trace" and "clip" tools from the editor toolbar as I classified the image to ensure everything was properly classified with no gaps remaining between polygons.

This was a rather challenging lab assignment, due both to its intrinsic difficulty as well as to the catastrophic failure of my computer.  It was poor timing, but I believe I was successful with the above map in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment